shibboleth-dev - Re: Apache version detection

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Apache version detection

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Apache version detection
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:11:04 +0100

Scott Cantor wrote:

> The issue I had was that whatever it is you do, it affects the spec
> *content*, the "BuildRequires" line. I wasn't sure how much scripting I
> could do for that, so I didn't try. Macros work, but I don't know if you can
> run shell commands.

Poking around it seems that you can, at least in Fedora land. For example:

%define day %(date | cut -c 1-3 -)
BuildRequires: %{day} >= 17

This fails the build saying that that "Thu >= 17 is needed by ...".

Inside the %() it seems to be possible to have a pipe chain and nested
commands using back-ticks. Here's an example I found by googling around:

http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/phb/rpm-example.html

The 'distver' macro looks about the level of complexity we'd need,
excluding the need to override it.

-- Ian