shibboleth-dev - Re: Apache version detection

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Apache version detection

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Apache version detection
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:52:24 +0100

Scott Cantor wrote:

> Also, just for clarification, what I had in mind here was not to eliminate
> the ability to explicitly enable/disable any given module version, but just
> that in the absence of any --enable option, it could search for what to use
> and guess right some percentage of the time. That should eliminate the need
> for the awkward RPM macros.

The other awkward macro that it might be nice to deal with would be the
new xercesver one. Again, something that guessed right some percentage
of the time and could be overridden would be enough.

An adequate approximate rule for this one would be that if there was a
package installed already called xerces261-c then xercesver='261' else
xercesver=''. I guess it should be possible to get this by running 'rpm
-q xerces261-c' and seeing if the output contains 'is not installed',
but I don't how to express that in .spec-ese.

This one's different than the Apache version enabling in that I think it
needs to be done in the .spec file and not in autoconf. But then, I
understand little or nothing of autoconf so I might be wrong.

Anyone know enough about RPM .spec files to know how this one should go?

-- Ian