shibboleth-dev - RE: Apache version detection

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Apache version detection

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Apache version detection
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:07:45 -0400

> An adequate approximate rule for this one would be that if there was a
> package installed already called xerces261-c then xercesver='261' else
> xercesver=''. I guess it should be possible to get this by running 'rpm
> -q xerces261-c' and seeing if the output contains 'is not installed',
> but I don't how to express that in .spec-ese.

The issue I had was that whatever it is you do, it affects the spec
*content*, the "BuildRequires" line. I wasn't sure how much scripting I
could do for that, so I didn't try. Macros work, but I don't know if you can
run shell commands.

Obviously, the configure itself will just fail if Xerces isn't there, but
the specfile is supposed to address the package dependency first.

> This one's different than the Apache version enabling in that I think it
> needs to be done in the .spec file and not in autoconf. But then, I
> understand little or nothing of autoconf so I might be wrong.

No, that's correct.