shibboleth-dev - RE: moving TestShib forward.....

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: moving TestShib forward.....

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: moving TestShib forward.....
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:58:50 -0400

> Some possibilities....

As long as you mean "for 2.0", that's fine.

> -- should the download package include a config and private key that
> would work against the TS sample target? (actually, I'm not sure this
> is possible)

It's mostly impossible, and I don't want to do it. We could

- find somebody to work on a true installer that prompts for all the data
needed and changes the files

- do what I do here, which is supply a set of Windows, Unix (/opt), and RPM
(/etc) starter files along with a short list of "change" instructions based
on what shibtest spits back to you

> -- 9star has mentioned that they're distributing a shib install CD to
> their customers, and have offered it to us... worth pursuing?

For 2.0, yes.

> -- should the package include multiple pre-configured config files
> (useful for various situations), or just a few cookbooks describing
> the steps to create a config for "situation X" (eg a bilateral config)

That's another possibility, but it still doesn't get you there because of
hostnames. But we could include multiple config sets with special
extensions, kind of like the resolver has now.

BTW, does shibtest require the SP to have a hostname? If so, we'll need to
be explicit about that and should put something on the front page like
"don't have a hostname?" and then behind that tell them to go away.

But I'm inclined to say that we should permit those kinds of stupid tests,
but just sticking the IP address inside the providerId and the cert and not
worrying about it.