shibboleth-dev - RE: SAML name identifiers

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: SAML name identifiers

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: SAML name identifiers
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 15:11:32 -0500

> Possibly, but we haven't considered it much since 1) you've
> discouraged the use of ePTID in 1.3,

I've discouraged *production* use of our sample plugin. If people need
something better, why doesn't somebody build it? I sure as heck would like
to use one, but I'm a little busy at the moment.

> and 2) everyone knows persistent
> name identifiers are coming in 2.0 (but no one knows the details).
> The bottom line is: we need an implementation of ePTID in 1.3 that is
> wholly compatible with persistent name identifiers in 2.0.

Well, no. We just need reasonable implementations for both code bases. I
don't see why it matters if they're the same or not, although I don't see
why they couldn't be.

> Now I know what you're gonna say: Shib 1.3 is essentially frozen. All
> future development work will be applied to Shib 2.0.

All our work for the moment, yes. Does everything have to come from us?