shibboleth-dev - Re: SAML name identifiers

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: SAML name identifiers

  • From: "Tom Scavo" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: SAML name identifiers
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:47:39 -0500

On 3/2/06, Scott Cantor

> > ... the X509SubjectName identifier is more
> > important. I don't believe the introduction of persistent identifiers
> > will alter this fact.
>
> I think it could.

Possibly, but we haven't considered it much since 1) you've
discouraged the use of ePTID in 1.3, and 2) everyone knows persistent
name identifiers are coming in 2.0 (but no one knows the details).
The bottom line is: we need an implementation of ePTID in 1.3 that is
wholly compatible with persistent name identifiers in 2.0.

Now I know what you're gonna say: Shib 1.3 is essentially frozen. All
future development work will be applied to Shib 2.0. The reasons for
this are obvious, but unfortunately it doesn't help the grid community
much. Our project is over in December of this year. By the end of Q1
2007, *all* the grid projects that met at GGF16 will be finished.
Thus all the grid projects I know about depend on Shib 1.3 as their
development platform.

So it would be helpful to us if an upward-compatible implementation of
ePTID were bundled as a Shib 1.3 extension. That's mainly why we're
interested in the forthcoming implementation of persistent
identifiers.

Tom