shibboleth-dev - Re: signed assertions

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: signed assertions

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: signed assertions
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:15:36 +0000

Scott Cantor wrote:

To fix, change the first line to:

nameIDNode.setAttributeNS(
org.opensaml.XML.XMLNS_NS,"xmlns", XML.SAML2ASSERT_NS);

Or something close.

I did exactly that on a fresh 1.3c IdP distribution and replaced my IdP.

If this fixes it, I win a big stuffed furry animal.

And... we have a winner. My SP is now validating signed assertions from my IdP that include that attribute.

I'll leave you to file the bugzilla report so that you can claim your stuffed animal from Howard at the same time.

And continue to wonder
exactly how my life ended up here, debugging XML signature solely through
visual exam.

You probably did something unspeakable in a previous life. It's the only explanation.

I think that closes the book on the signed assertion question.

For your amusement, note that the thing about "skipping AttributeValue without a single, non-empty text node" has mysteriously disappeared, possibly after I restarted shibd. I'll let you know if it turns up again sometime.

Unfortunately I now observe that the new-style ePTI values aren't actually making it through to the application headers. Instead, the CGI variable is created but apparently with an empty value. I switched temporarily back to my previous IdP, and same problem with that one. Now I know this used to work (I have seen the a!b!c format in CGI variables), but I think I upgraded the SP from 1.3-6 or thereabouts to 1.3-8 since then, and there may have been an FC3 to FC4 upgrade as well. Anything in those patches that might have disturbed the special attribute factory?

Just to confirm: my shibboleth.xml *does* contain the AttributeFactory clause, and the shibd.log contains a line claiming it is building an appropriate factory.

-- Ian