shibboleth-dev - Re: NameIDFormat metadata elements

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: NameIDFormat metadata elements

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: NameIDFormat metadata elements
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:07:51 +0000

Scott Cantor wrote:

I wasn't aware any were missing, but it's certainly possible.

Quick grep|wc results:

IQ has 266 entities (191 IdPs, 77 SPs and yes that doesn't add up because some have both roles) and only 157 NameIDFormats.

InCommon has 28 entities (14 of each kind) and 14 NameIDFormats. That 14 is a coincidence; there are both IdPs and SPs with and without a NameIDFormat.

I thought your
style sheet created them. If not, that would explain why they aren't there.

No, my 1.2 -> 1.3 converter doesn't seem to include these. Turns out we discussed this in mid-March and eventually decided not to, because:

Shib requires that implementations support that format, but it doesn't
require anybody deploy it. Metadata reflects deployment, not implementation,
so the values depend entirely on the deployment choices.

Maybe I misinterpreted that?

I thought we had, but since InQueue is soon to die, I'm not about to worry
about it now.

Seems to apply to InCommon, too, FWIW, from the figures above. Obviously not scary, but more of an enduring anomaly than InQueue.

I can't see any way it would break something, but if somebody were altering
their deployment to use some other Format, certainly their metadata ought to
reflect that choice.

Meanwhile, this statement is pretty comforting and definitely supports the idea that we should have included this in the conversion in the first place. Sorry if I fluffed that.

-- Ian