shibboleth-dev - Re: NameIDFormat metadata elements

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: NameIDFormat metadata elements

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: NameIDFormat metadata elements
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:30:08 +0000

Scott Cantor wrote:

It's just there for completeness and because it's easy to generate that as a
default but much harder to generate anything related to attributes as a
default. And the IdP does in fact at least look at it in edge cases. There's
nothing the SP could do with it at this stage, of course.

So are the NameIDFormat elements present only on some entities in IQ and IC because they were added after the initial conversion to the SAML metadata format?

I mean, there doesn't *have* to be a reason for this, it could just be randomness. If I was going to do something for completeness, I'd just add it to everything though.

I'm considering proposing adding these to everything in SDSS, because I'm generally a believer of making the default explicit when possible. I can't think of a plausible deployment that this would cause trouble for, but if anyone else can I'd appreciate a heads-up...

-- Ian