shibboleth-dev - NameIDFormat metadata elements

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

NameIDFormat metadata elements

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: NameIDFormat metadata elements
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:56:56 +0000

I recently noticed that some (but not all) entities in the InQueue and InCommon federation metadata files had NameIDFormat elements. Some IdPs and some SPs have them. They always (perhaps unsurprisingly) contain the URN for the Shibboleth format.

I'm wondering what practical effect this has (if any) so that I can figure out whether we should be doing the same thing in our metadata.

It doesn't look to me as if the 1.3 C++ SP code actually uses the metadata NameIDFormat(s) for the IdP at all (probably not surprising, I can see how it might be used in SAML 2.0 but not in 1.1).

So, I don't think that any NameIDFormat elements in IDPSSODescriptor elements actually have any function right now.

It looks to me as if the 1.3 IdP code examines the metadata NameIDFormat(s) for the SP and uses them as "preferred" formats so that a particular format can be selected from among multiple formats configured for a particular relying party.

So, I can see some use cases for NameIDFormat in SPSSODescriptor, when the default format wasn't the one the SP wanted. However, explicitly naming the Shibboleth format would only have an effect if IdPs were configuring something else as the default format; this seems unlikely in a Shibboleth context. I'm tempted to conclude that SP-side NameIDFormat metadata probably isn't having much effect in InQueue and InCommon just now either.

At this point, if it weren't for the fact that someone has done the work to selectively add these elements in InQueue and InCommon, I'd probably conclude that we didn't have to bother. As it is, maybe there is a use case I haven't thought of; any ideas?

-- Ian