shibboleth-dev - RE: TargetedID Durability

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: TargetedID Durability

  • From: "Alistair Young" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: TargetedID Durability
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:15:19 +0100 (BST)

> There are lots of services that necessarily
> maintain information about you
are these not IdPs? How much information can an SP store on you before it
becomes an IdP?

> they will require that I answer enough questions
> "that only I should know the answers to" in order
> to establish the mapping.
so they're basically re-authenticating you outwith your IdP? So there's no
trust involved in this scenario? The SP is saying "your IdP says you have
this ePTID but I don't believe it"

So in such a system, you would have an IdP which an SP treats with caution
and overlays it's own authentication above that of the IdP?

Why federate such a service in the first place?

Alistair

--
Alistair Young
Senior Software Engineer