shibboleth-dev - Re: TargetedID Durability

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: TargetedID Durability

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: TargetedID Durability
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:29:48 -0400

Right. I wasn't suggesting that an ePTID would be changed capriciously, but instead just stating that I thought it COULD be changed.

Now depending on if you let users recreate an ePTID on request (and I'm not suggesting this is a good or bad idea), maybe then it appears capricious to an SP, but, in theory at least, the user had a reason for doing it.

A related question. What if a user wished to not use a targeted ID and always wanted to use a random handle (hopefully understanding that they forgo things like maintained customizations between visits). As a service, would you support something like that along side of ePTID support?

Spencer W. Thomas wrote:
As an SP, I would agree that the ePTID should not change unless the Principal desires it to do so.

Jim Fox wrote:

Our different understanding is not whether an ePTID can ever change.
The causes you mention are valid reasons to change an ePTID.
However, absent some special agreement or action between the SP
and IdP, I think an ePTID for a user to a particular SP has to be
invariant, forever.

Jim