shibboleth-dev - RE: TargetedID Durability

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: TargetedID Durability

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: TargetedID Durability
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 01:05:31 +0200 (CEST)

The point of the initial question in this thread was to identify the requirements for a new implementation of ePTID to replace (or supplement) the current on-the-fly implementation that we know people are having trouble with.

Jim Fox wrote one for UW use, and documents it at:

http://staff.washington.edu/fox/notes/tgtid.shtml

So the real question for ePTID durability is that, given that they in general are persistent but there are edge cases where they might be changed by the IdP (presumably based on user/SP choice), are there any implications for that on how they're implemented? My observation is that in person registry space (including so-called "registry ids" that IMHO are just instances of ePTIDs that happen to be used globally by the campus enterprise) we find a general need to maintain "prior" forms of all identifiers for various purposes. This is because they do change, and it's useful to keep the old ones around (not necessarily forever) for help in problem resolution, searching etc. So I suggest that a really good ePTID database would support this.

If we thought this happened a lot, we might think that there needs to be a UI at the IdP for an IdP user to pick an SP and say "forget my current ePTID with this one". I don't think we need this, though. I think the "de-federation" support that Scott mentions in SAML 2 would be initiated by UI at the SP (but I could be wrong about that).

- RL "Bob"