shibboleth-dev - Re: Moved New Deployment Guides

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Moved New Deployment Guides

  • From: Mark Allen Earnest <>
  • To: Shibboleth Development <>
  • Cc: "Wilcox, Mark" <>
  • Subject: Re: Moved New Deployment Guides
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:37:01 -0400

Nate Klingenstein wrote:
On 6/1/05, Nate Klingenstein

I can see where the checklist as coded might be challenging to port to
the wiki, but there are only two lines of JavaScript in that file so
I'm not sure if that's such a big deal. As far as frames are
concerned, they're a curse and should be used sparingly. Generally
frames don't print or index very well.

The frames used in the new deploy guides are only there in order to always provide the ability to go to another page regardless of how far you've scrolled. If the user experience is such that people prefer tables instead, I can migrate. I would appreciate feedback on this from the broader Shibboleth community after they have some experience using the new documentation.

I like the javascript interface for generating configuration information, that is key to helping people roll out shibboleth who are new to it. As for the frames, my personal preference is to avoid them and use server side includes instead to provide some kind of common navigation bar.
Wiki's are nice for some things (and shibboleth has one https://authdev.it.ohio-state.edu/twiki/bin/view/Shibboleth ) but I don't really see the need to have the documentation as a wiki. After its initial "shake out" it should be a pretty stable document with few changes. Having a single editor to run those changes through is preferable to having an entire community have a go at it.

--

Mark Allen Earnest

Lead Systems Programmer
Emerging Technologies
The Pennsylvania State University

Lt Commander
Centre County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue

KB3LYB