shibboleth-dev - Re: Moved New Deployment Guides

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Moved New Deployment Guides

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • Cc: Shibboleth Development <>
  • Subject: Re: Moved New Deployment Guides
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:26:04 -0400

On 6/1/05, Nate Klingenstein

> We've been bludgeoning each other over this for the last several months
> solid and I think the consensus we've come to is that the deployment
> guides need to be able to and are capable of presenting information in
> a way that the rigid structure of a Wiki just can't.

I don't particularly like the wiki either, but at least it's easy to
make changes. The frameset documents currently surrounding the Guides
are somewhat less flexible than the wiki, I think. Printing, for
example, is problematic.

> These are also
> fairly monolithic documents which won't require much modification,
> ideally.

My red pen indicates otherwise ;-)

> Other information which is more malleable and provides a
> cross-reference into the deployment information, such as a FAQ-style
> material covering common scenarios, will live in the Wiki and point
> into the deployment guides. Does that sound reasonable?

Whatever you think best, I'm just giving my two cents worth.

> If you have individual comments I would be happy to incorporate them.

How? There are no line numbers (as in the PDFs) or collaboration
tools (as in the Word docs), so it's nearly impossible to write up a
detailed review.

> I don't foresee this as being a frequent occurrence.

Well, documentation is forever changing, just like the code. Like all
good documents, it's out of date the moment you publish it.

Tom