shibboleth-dev - Re: Moved New Deployment Guides

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Moved New Deployment Guides

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • Cc: "Wilcox, Mark" <>, Shibboleth Development <>
  • Subject: Re: Moved New Deployment Guides
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:37:04 -0400

On 6/1/05, Nate Klingenstein

> This may reflect a lack of understanding of the full capabilities of
> the Wiki platform by the people who participated on the development
> calls, but I'm referring specifically to Javascript functionality and
> multiple frame management that pieces such as the checklist perform.

I can see where the checklist as coded might be challenging to port to
the wiki, but there are only two lines of JavaScript in that file so
I'm not sure if that's such a big deal. As far as frames are
concerned, they're a curse and should be used sparingly. Generally
frames don't print or index very well.

> Those familiar with Wikis had indicated to me that porting a lot of
> this functionality into a Wiki would be difficult.

That may be true, I don't know. I've written a couple of wiki
articles, and they were only slightly more difficult than ordinary
HTML. It's clear though, if you simplify the checklist and port the
entire thing to the wiki, at least you have something that can be
maintained.

While writing the tech overview, I was faced with the same issues.
For better or worse, we chose Word/PDF, but at least that has line
numbers and prints well. Somebody could (and did) mark up the Word
document or send me errata referenced by line number, which is at
least some form of collaboration.

Tom