shibboleth-dev - Re: Moved New Deployment Guides

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Moved New Deployment Guides

  • From: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • To: Tom Scavo <>
  • Cc: Shibboleth Development <>, "Wilcox, Mark" <>
  • Subject: Re: Moved New Deployment Guides
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:23:05 +0000

On 6/1/05, Nate Klingenstein

I can see where the checklist as coded might be challenging to port to
the wiki, but there are only two lines of JavaScript in that file so
I'm not sure if that's such a big deal. As far as frames are
concerned, they're a curse and should be used sparingly. Generally
frames don't print or index very well.

The frames used in the new deploy guides are only there in order to always provide the ability to go to another page regardless of how far you've scrolled. If the user experience is such that people prefer tables instead, I can migrate. I would appreciate feedback on this from the broader Shibboleth community after they have some experience using the new documentation.

The Javascript in the checklist is critical because it allows for the customization of the instructions for the deployment environment. Given the huge variability in the underlying systems, it's a lot easier for people to follow if we can provide direct instructions for Tomcat 5.0.x, or direct instructions for Tomcat 5.5. If we tried to do this in multiple files, the number of forks would be really large and the maintenance would be much more painful.

While writing the tech overview, I was faced with the same issues.
For better or worse, we chose Word/PDF, but at least that has line
numbers and prints well. Somebody could (and did) mark up the Word
document or send me errata referenced by line number, which is at
least some form of collaboration.

If you save prepinfo.html as source, it should preserve the line numbers. Just open it in a text browser and show line numbers and I'd be happy to work through all that red ink with you.

Thanks,
Nate.