shibboleth-dev - Re: FINAL CALL -- design of web based ARP Mgmt GUI

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: FINAL CALL -- design of web based ARP Mgmt GUI

  • From: Jennifer Vine <>
  • To: Robb Shecter <>
  • Cc: Thomas Lenggenhager <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: FINAL CALL -- design of web based ARP Mgmt GUI
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:01:01 -0700

is 'Shibboleth Library Admin Tool'...

Good question. Is that really the name of the app?

That was the generic name when we started discussions, and I never really updated that info page - sorry. At one point, I sent out a request for name ideas, which came up with variations on SHARPE (Shibboleth ARP Editor), which I started using (and is in the mockups). I'm not convinced it's a great name, but don't have a better one. Suggestions welcome.

and the example is very much
oriented towards libraries. That's OK, since this is an important field
for Shib deployment, however, I wonder if the tool to be developed will
be generic enough so that it is suitable as well for e-learning targets
or for inner-university ARP management, where the term 'contract' is not
really appropriate.

Steven can probably answer this more completely, but we did start with the library community as an obvious place to pick up the core use cases. Ken later asked me to think about generalizing the terminology (which was previously even more library-oriented than it is now). It's true that "contract" implies a commercial nature to the transaction. I'm completely open to changing terminology, within the context of the naming styles that did/didn't work in the usability test.

Is "contract" or "service contract" not a concept that applies to all uses of
the ARP GUI? I've begun the coding for the app - specifically modelling the
important abstractions I see. The "DEFINITIONS" sidebar has been helpful.
But you're saying that these definitions might not apply to all uses of the
app?

That seems risky... The definitions were written by me to define the terms that I used in the UI, which I chose to present the concepts to the selected audience... I mean, they identify the things in the UI that are abstractions, but I don't know that they should be the basis of any technical decisions...

There is this "thing" that I'm referring to as the "contract" which has become much less of a contract concept with the removal of the effective dates - it's really now just the connection of the community and the owner with the template. Anyone think of a nice noun to describe that? "Agreement"?

JV

Jennifer Vine
ITSS : Infrastructure : UI designer