shibboleth-dev - Re: FINAL CALL -- design of web based ARP Mgmt GUI

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: FINAL CALL -- design of web based ARP Mgmt GUI

  • From: Robb Shecter <>
  • To: Thomas Lenggenhager <>,
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: FINAL CALL -- design of web based ARP Mgmt GUI
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:59:59 -0400

On Friday 11 June 2004 02:50, Thomas Lenggenhager wrote:
> The title on the page
> http://www.stanford.edu/%7Ejvine/shibboleth
> is 'Shibboleth Library Admin Tool'...

Good question. Is that really the name of the app?

> and the example is very much
> oriented towards libraries. That's OK, since this is an important field
> for Shib deployment, however, I wonder if the tool to be developed will
> be generic enough so that it is suitable as well for e-learning targets
> or for inner-university ARP management, where the term 'contract' is not
> really appropriate.

Is "contract" or "service contract" not a concept that applies to all uses of
the ARP GUI? I've begun the coding for the app - specifically modelling the
important abstractions I see. The "DEFINITIONS" sidebar has been helpful.
But you're saying that these definitions might not apply to all uses of the
app?

> From where will the ARP Mgmt tool get the config required?

What config data would the app need, exactly? Has that been hammered out
anywhere? I'm reverse-engineering some of it from the mockups.

It also appears to me that sometimes people have used the term "config data"
to mean information that would be provided by the targets - ie, from some
kind of information source. IE, not application configuration data per se.
(?)

Robb