shibboleth-dev - Re: Deploy Guide Overhaul

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Deploy Guide Overhaul

  • From:
  • To: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>, Nate Klingenstein <>
  • Cc: Shibboleth Design Team <>
  • Subject: Re: Deploy Guide Overhaul
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 18:22:25 -0400

At 4:25 PM -0700 5/1/03, RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:
I think we have general agreement that the docs need to be broken up into
smaller bits and support multiple paths through them, so this is on the
right track. I'm kinda skeptical about this custom-build approach though,
since docs should be available both bundled with the package code and
online from the web site. Seems like a more traditional approach with a
table of contents and hyperlinked chapters would be at least as effective
and simpler to build.

I think that with v1.0 we'll have reached the point where a "one size fits all" approach to doc will no longer be sufficient. I'll still print the longer document, take it home, and sit on the deck and read it. But I don't think that, among the next group of deployers, there are many who will do that. Others will want to easily navigate thru the entire document, using hyperlinks. So they can see the parallel versions, and decide how to proceed. And other groups are likely to want a customized doc ("just tell me what to do", or newbies who want an easy shib install (1 hour) so they can get the flavor of it).

I think we're at the point where there's no longer a right answer. Unfortunately, we need to understand the different groups that are likely to try shib, and the needs of each group.

Also, I think our direction should be to separate
Shib docs from InCommon docs; your approach seems to link them together in
the build process.

approaching this from the perspective of having different audiences... I'd suggest that the simple guides just default to club roadkill, and don't even mention federations. In the more advanced versions, we could introduce the idea of federations, and point to separate docs describing InCommon.