shibboleth-dev - Re: Deploy Guide Overhaul

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Deploy Guide Overhaul

  • From: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • To: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • Cc: Shibboleth Design Team <>
  • Subject: Re: Deploy Guide Overhaul
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 00:10:34 +0000

I think we have general agreement that the docs need to be broken up into
smaller bits and support multiple paths through them, so this is on the
right track. I'm kinda skeptical about this custom-build approach though,
since docs should be available both bundled with the package code and
online from the web site. Seems like a more traditional approach with a
table of contents and hyperlinked chapters would be at least as effective
and simpler to build. Also, I think our direction should be to separate
Shib docs from InCommon docs; your approach seems to link them together in
the build process.

In the last e-mail, I mentioned this table-of-contents structure with hyperlinked chapters. The thing is, it would be very simple to build the table of contents according to what you need, leaving the user with a greatly reduced version of the deploy guide, if that's sufficient.

As far as decoupling InCommon from the deployment process, that clearly introduces a second layer of configuration for adopters, but this may be an important political layer of abstraction. All the questions were thrown in only as mock-ups and would be, of course, open to debate.

As far as the difficulty in building this goes, it'd be very, very minimal.

I'd love to hear Walter's suggestions.

Thanks,
Nate.