shibboleth-dev - Re: Deploy Guide Overhaul

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Deploy Guide Overhaul

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • Cc: Shibboleth Design Team <>
  • Subject: Re: Deploy Guide Overhaul
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 17:30:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Nate Klingenstein wrote:

> In the last e-mail, I mentioned this table-of-contents structure with
> hyperlinked chapters. The thing is, it would be very simple to build
> the table of contents according to what you need, leaving the user with
> a greatly reduced version of the deploy guide, if that's sufficient.

This kind of selective narrowing makes sense for, say, deciding which
binary version of an app to download, but I just don't buy it for
documentation. I'd click the "give me the whole doc" option, then poke
around in it once I got it. Maybe I don't know which web server I'm going
to use, and I want to see the instructions for each as part of choosing.
It also seems to me to complicate support. "Didn't you read section 3
where we say to do X?", uh, well for you it's section 4. Maybe I'm
missing something but I don't see that hiding content does people any
favors.

> As far as decoupling InCommon from the deployment process, that clearly
> introduces a second layer of configuration for adopters, but this may
> be an important political layer of abstraction.

Umm, hmm? Shibboleth is a general piece of software, we already know
folks are using it outside of InCommon and outside of the whole federation
notion in general (in fact our longest-running deployment does this). It
needs docs that describe it. InCommon is just one way of using it. They
are really and truly separate. I think being clear on the separation will
help adopters, not hinder them.

- RL "Bob"