perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Changes in Throughput testing process reporting with new PS4.2.3?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Changes in Throughput testing process reporting with new PS4.2.3?

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Phil Reese <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Changes in Throughput testing process reporting with new PS4.2.3?
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 23:16:02 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=internet2.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=internet2.edu; dkim=pass header.d=internet2.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=aTQk60IYUiUyv/6SM9NXCqmyPuATkvFLEktr64sIJOU=; b=HQTxIafMKkNVRhYqKr2nD3aUDhS/SJFJU2ha0UCNk9G6d6ivCL3pD79Cu2Vlt74I3Roc+GESvhuZ3bWwhPkuDFvWphr7Ju3ogterxDKFFPERxeYZizBOYeeq1i5lJhCXM4mcjtgsfT29QIW9Q8k7YvpqdJz/sj8NoPEXPbRN0QPXsMKhj8UhO89cQRWzIEQkfEA0w+1IQxfgsgWgHu/VCnGxQW8vXEBXYsgw6SBLWjUESIa7M72a12ySsjT76VU8OdbV6wXe3fIbXF6EJd1Pd7OFDfIgcAzYV4zj5mwlLU2uBJSO33CgpKuKypSgwE3/amiPwednkqkgeuErfeqMyg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=nwBR8j3suoWAGobLHyIKd80Db9KYYBd6ia8YGZlxbFytzczSvKtWMRgaluttyTbe/07fID6R8znI377nN0Zbow+7diTcJwlwgZQFeujbB9ObBwMtnIn60ttDZ2vYc4XmYXHXprIDLB5TbkmpwYyBVXocUJs9MKrvkhQo63TK5QI2cGKsl0mjWgGuey1Yk82nhovhVkX3LXIyDw8etADb4Nk/jWikZjld5B5yJ+Up7i+7eWaneLR43BphNs7uGm43d2fSSD7O7LshuAva6MxXU6qR+8kX/SeTI3MJBxCuRKt/H2EKK+uRMAsxE5phaZJ8kEghRx2fV+4lfoICqE1GNA==

I wrote:

I'm not inclined to think it's something pScheduler code because almost
nothing involved has changed. Iperf3 hasn't seen a release since June, its
pScheduler plugin hasn't been modified since September (pre-4.2.2), the
runner service that oversees all of this hasn't changed in a year and the
code in our internal library is even older than that. That said, something
has to be different to cause this behavior.

The major change to pScheduler in 4.2.3 was a change to the way one of the
tables in its internal database is locked during parts of the scheduling
process. The locking is necessary because there has to be an atomic
transaction where the contents of the table are examined and acted upon.
Without it, other threads doing scheduling could make the same decision and
cause conflicts by taking the same action. The change we made was to
alleviate a problem for a high-volume user.

Under the heading of no good deed going unpunished, the change appears to
have created problems for other users. I'd hoped this fix would be a good
band-aid until time could be devoted to a more-thorough solution, but that
doesn't appear to be the case, which makes that time now. Work is underway
to verify that this is actually the problem and a new release will be out as
soon as something has been developed and tested.

Thanks for your patience with this.

--Mark