perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Changes in Throughput testing process reporting with new PS4.2.3?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Changes in Throughput testing process reporting with new PS4.2.3?

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Phil Reese <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Changes in Throughput testing process reporting with new PS4.2.3?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 23:05:08 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=internet2.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=internet2.edu; dkim=pass header.d=internet2.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=0ELzxSmvDMkZiO+76g5EbGVrxr2XZ9aeIDd7rMp/ymg=; b=U9aXfbq0DdbZ8kUcXOWuUgESish8Ts1tploROrBQjMdzImiIX0j6a4IbRnNcJf/TSUExL+O50E4EDFk2fmfynkEl8YLsbhdkQL2jpPIIaUJ4jAhu3y0GE/T8Qi6rDRtLvw2i8mR1Q66bQQkSt3ASV7xYuFAX+of3NVDoJVhE4yTHGi87UR5fKs98jkuPIDucWvVOrSkT4fhKtKg6cwjS1RemK/jtTbfdTu9UivqstFlWtbDYkz/WYTwNRakw2JYtmJh0cYajx9MizW8ecoowUEA3k6ITfq7EZ2P0yRs4sq/2WeyxthLEYLT+f5mz5mPnd0RWi5gR/GvwopnFz5tcTg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=n7h2tpzkMSUx0XP5j+L/uqvwOFXj/ioYtTdPZnEg6ouh2h8tlbpLxeLvJCMbqfKSmVMFVZj2888rNb2hVEhJVrZOj3iQsbnsWyzFoeDTa8/mOOYZFsSTwhnNsWLXPPdnPBSj6/jgGR0pQW5bhhr8pQuvv2OuJk6qwiI8QmoXjFr9BB/svcZxlkfDMg1WZtg1OfYgq6qY48NJhT+pGx2WSxAjXhHd8ud7EfIAdzORMD+dqAvs65PoNlQLZnssm8dCZXcDvcYdNxlHPjVhkEpi8hw6k39Udgjlcia2Fs8BHEyZLL14jVSiVVD5q0EWdeAzDa7Gadr9Cxz8mIYU8at4Ew==

Phil Reese writes:

However, since Thursday. I've had quite a number of failed Throughput
tests happen between my hosts. Till the upgrade, the every three hour
tests, would come back green (>=.9Gbs) with an occasional yellow
(<.9Gbps but more than .5Gbps). Now it seems that during business hours
I'll have as many as 70 out of 484 tests fully fail, these mostly clear
over night, but come back the next day but not necessarily the same host
to host failures.

As Szymon mentioned, we saw some of that in Europe over the weekend, so
you're not the only one. Most of what I saw on those systems was the far end
running past its scheduled time and getting cut off at the knees, which
scuppers the whole measurement even if the near end collects a result. Also
worth mentioning is that a fraction of trace tests (and possibly others) are
failing for the same reason, but those probably run often enough that the
dashboards may cover up the failures. The trace failures are actually a good
thing because I can tinker with that in a single-system setting where there
are fewer variables.

I'm not inclined to think it's something pScheduler code because almost
nothing involved has changed. Iperf3 hasn't seen a release since June, its
pScheduler plugin hasn't been modified since September (pre-4.2.2), the
runner service that oversees all of this hasn't changed in a year and the
code in our internal library is even older than that. That said, something
has to be different to cause this behavior.

I've been working on this over the last couple of days. Once I get to the
bottom of it, there will be a patch.

--Mark