perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Problem with Persfonar firewall ports

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Problem with Persfonar firewall ports

  • From: Raul Lopes <>
  • To: Mark Feit <>, Szymon Trocha <>
  • Cc: "" <>, Tim Chown <>, Ivan Garnizov <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Problem with Persfonar firewall ports
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 08:34:21 +0000

Hi Mark,

The 443 ports between those hosts are all open. For example, I do:
 - stop all perfsonar services;
 - stop httpd;
 - start iperf on port 443.

It shows that ps01-ban is open and I get 7+Gbps from ps03-ban, when I connect to ps01-ban on 443.

[root@ps03 perfsonar]# iperf -B ps03-ban -c ps01-ban -p 443
Client connecting to ps01-ban, TCP port 443
Binding to local address ps03-ban
TCP window size:  170 KByte (default)
[  3] local 130.246.152.210 port 33572 connected with 130.246.152.194 port 443
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  7.93 GBytes  6.81 Gbits/sec

iperf from ps01-ban tp ps03-ban on port 443.

[root@ps01 perfsonar]# iperf -B ps01-ban -c ps03-ban -p 443
Client connecting to ps03-ban, TCP port 443
Binding to local address ps01-ban
TCP window size: 2.56 MByte (default)
[  3] local 130.246.152.194 port 37502 connected with 130.246.152.210 port 443
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  9.65 GBytes  8.29 Gbits/sec

Same for hosts Perfsonar hosts I am using. My reading is that Perfsonar troubleshooting is not enough.

I have also been running tests with lead-bind and posting results to this list and to Szymon. Tests requested by Szymon. Szymon's conclusion seemed to be that 443 is closed. It isn't.

Important: MadDash is showing perfect results for latency and trace tests. Only badwidth fails.

If I kill http and Perfsonaer, iperf/iperf3 work nicely over their default ports and over 443.

I believe that either another port is closed  or we have configuration problem, maybe in psconfig. My problem is "how to find".

Which  ports should I  probe that the throughput task is using?

Which configuration files are MadDash and the Perfsoar hosts using that might have configuration errors only for throughput tests?

Regards, Raul