perfsonar-user - Re: [perf-node-users] [perfsonar-user] Configuring perfSONAR Toolkit on a multi-homed system

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perf-node-users] [perfsonar-user] Configuring perfSONAR Toolkit on a multi-homed system

  • From: "Roderick Mooi" <>
  • To: "Christopher A Konger" <>, "Aaron Brown" <>, "John W. O'Brien" <>
  • Cc: "Conan F Moore ()" <>, "Kevin Draai" <>, "Aaron Wise()" <>, "Brian Tierney" <>, " Users" <>, "" <>, <>, "Joe Breen ()" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perf-node-users] [perfsonar-user] Configuring perfSONAR Toolkit on a multi-homed system
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:36:13 +0200

Hi John, Chris

> I heard rumors (which may or not be true) there was exploration of
> splitting throughput and latency processes onto two separate NICs in
the same
> machine

A few people in the community, including myself, have been
experimenting with this and so far results are good bearing in mind a
few things:
1. Use modern hardware esp if doing 10 G+ measurements
2. You need to set up the multi-homed routing and rules (something
like:
https://blogs.oracle.com/networking/entry/advance_routing_for_multi_homed)
3. Mapping processor cores to NIC interface interrupts helps improve
performance see:
http://fasterdata.es.net/host-tuning/interrupt-binding/
(these last two still need to be integrated into the multi-homing
support build as I understand)

Aaron's build allows you to configure multi-interface tests using the
perfsonar web GUI but it's also possible to use the Mesh Configurator to
achieve the same result. It's also great to use if you have many nodes
in your network - you can configure all tests centrally.
Have a look as this thread for more information:
https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/performance-node-users/2013-11/msg00027.html

Regards,

Roderick

--
Roderick Mooi | SANREN Senior Engineer
--

| +27 12 841 4111 | www.sanren.ac.za

>>> On 2014-03-12 at 18:40, Aaron Brown
>>> <>
>>> wrote:
> Hey Chris,
>
> On Mar 12, 2014, at 10:01 AM, Christopher A Konger
<>

> wrote:
>
>> That DualInterface page was geared to those wanting to deploy
separate 1G
> and 10G interfaces (where the file "ten-g-hosts.txt" specified which

> connections should go through the 10G NIC). And the FAQ always had
the
> disclaimer about testing from the dually-connected host and
difficulty of
> specifying which interface to use (i.e.,
> "/opt/perfsonar_ps/toolkit/etc/discover_external_address.conf")
>>
>> I heard rumors (which may or not be true) there was exploration of

> splitting throughput and latency processes onto two separate NICs in
the same
> machine (a different type of Dual Interface deployment which really
isn't
> covered in the FAQ).
>>
>> Is that what the new RC build supports?
>>
>> If not, apparently an uber-scheduler is being tested which may avoid

> overlapped throughput/latency tests interfering with each other. That
might
> allow the same goal (I know some Institutions which are only able to
deploy a
> single node at current time, but want it to support both types of
tests
> without overlap).
>>
>> Thanks for the additional clarification about the new RC build!
>
> It lets you set the interface to use for each test. However, ping and

> traceroute tests (but not owamp) get scheduled by bwctl so throughput
tests
> can’t interfere with them. We may transition the owamp tests in the
future,
> but the differing semantics of them (run constantly) make it a bit
more
> challenging. Basically, I want to make sure they don’t end up using
all the
> bwctl test time slots before we swap over.
>
> If you are willing to be a guinea pig , I sent some instructions in
my email
> to John.
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron
>

>> Chris Konger
>>
>> Clemson Computing and Information Technology
>> Network Services and Telecommunications
>> Clemson University, SC 29634-2803
>> Office: 864-656-8140

John W.
> O'Brien
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:42 AM
>> To: Aaron Brown
>> Cc:
>> ;

Users;
> Brian Tierney
>> Subject: Re: [perf-node-users] Re: [perfsonar-user] Configuring
perfSONAR
> Toolkit on a multi-homed system
>>
>> On 3/12/14 9:38 AM, Aaron Brown wrote:
>>> Hey John,
>>>
>>> If you’d like to try out a beta version of the Toolkit that lets
you
>>> configure the interfaces for tests, I can point you at a
NetInstall