perfsonar-user - RE: [perf-node-users] Re: [perfsonar-user] Configuring perfSONAR Toolkit on a multi-homed system

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perf-node-users] Re: [perfsonar-user] Configuring perfSONAR Toolkit on a multi-homed system

  • From: Christopher A Konger <>
  • To: "John W. O'Brien" <>, Aaron Brown <>
  • Cc: "" <>, " Users" <>, Brian Tierney <>, "Joe Breen ()" <>, "Aaron Wise ()" <>, Alex Berryyman <>, "Conan F Moore ()" <>
  • Subject: RE: [perf-node-users] Re: [perfsonar-user] Configuring perfSONAR Toolkit on a multi-homed system
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 14:01:57 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

That DualInterface page was geared to those wanting to deploy separate 1G
and 10G interfaces (where the file "ten-g-hosts.txt" specified which
connections should go through the 10G NIC). And the FAQ always had the
disclaimer about testing from the dually-connected host and difficulty of
specifying which interface to use (i.e.,
"/opt/perfsonar_ps/toolkit/etc/discover_external_address.conf")

I heard rumors (which may or not be true) there was exploration of splitting
throughput and latency processes onto two separate NICs in the same machine
(a different type of Dual Interface deployment which really isn't covered in
the FAQ).

Is that what the new RC build supports?

If not, apparently an uber-scheduler is being tested which may avoid
overlapped throughput/latency tests interfering with each other. That might
allow the same goal (I know some Institutions which are only able to deploy a
single node at current time, but want it to support both types of tests
without overlap).

Thanks for the additional clarification about the new RC build!

Chris Konger

Clemson Computing and Information Technology
Network Services and Telecommunications
Clemson University, SC 29634-2803
Office: 864-656-8140