perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Global Lookup Service configuration on a private internet?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Global Lookup Service configuration on a private internet?

  • From: Andy Lake <>
  • To: "Nickless, Bill" <>
  • Cc: "''" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Global Lookup Service configuration on a private internet?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 10:07:36 -0500

Hi Bill,

Comments inline:

On Jan 2, 2013, at 6:11 PM, "Nickless, Bill"

> Hi Andy,
>
> I have the toolkit installed on computers within a walled garden / private
> internet. They can't reach the public Internet (and probably never will),
> so they cannot register with the existing gLS.
>
> This wouldn't be a problem, except that scheduled bandwidth tests won't run
> between these walled garden / private internet toolkit instances. I'm not
> sure, but I'm afraid the scheduled bandwidth tests won't run until these
> walled garden / private toolkit instances are registered with a gLS.
>
> Evidently I'm actually asking three questions--
>
> 1. Do I need a gLS to run scheduled bandwidth tests within a walled garden
> / private internet?

No, you do not need a gLS to run the scheduled tests. When you setup your
tests via the toolkit GUI, if you are able to contact the LSes, you will have
the ability to browse the list of hosts out there and add them to your test
set by clicking on them. If its not there, really all you lose is this
browsing ability. You can still manually add the hosts to which you want to
test. If you go to the link
http://code.google.com/p/perfsonar-ps/wiki/pSPerformanceToolkit322#Scheduled_BWCTL,
you will see a few screenshots down how to manually enter a host. Basically
if you click "Scheduled tests" on the left menu, then click the "Add new
throughput test", enter the test parameters, on the page that loads there is
a button on the middle of the page called "Add new host". Click that and
enter your private hosts in the pop-up. It should setup all your tests.

> 2. If so, how can I establish a gLS within my walled garden / private
> internet?
>
> 3. Alternatively, will the problem in #1 go away with the new lookup
> service?

As I said in your response to question #1, you don't actually need a gLS to
run the tests. If you are interested in bringing up an LS, I can get you an
RPM when the new one is ready. You should be able to setup tests without one
though.