perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] perfsonar Lookup Service check

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] perfsonar Lookup Service check

  • From: Carl Hayter <>
  • To: Brian Tierney <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] perfsonar Lookup Service check
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:57:58 -0800

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 02:00:17PM -0500, Brian Tierney wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:49 AM, Carl Hayter wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 11:04:49AM -0500, Brian Tierney wrote:
> >>
> >> There is an updated 'service_watcher' script that should makes sure it
> >> will stay up.
> >
> > Does this have anything remotely to do with my current problem:
>
> Yes, most likely its related. There seems to be a bug in the xmldb package
> we are using. As a work-around the 3.2 toolkit install creates these cron
> entries:
>
> 0 * * * * root /opt/perfsonar_ps/toolkit/scripts/service_watcher &>
> /var/log/perfsonar/service_watcher_error.log
> 0 1 * * * root /opt/perfsonar_ps/toolkit/scripts/service_watcher
> --regular_restart &> /var/log/perfsonar/service_watcher_error.log
>
> The 2nd one will reset the database nightly.
>
> Can you verify that you have these cron jobs in your config?

Yes, cron jobs are present and executed on time (by lines in
service_watcher.log), however that happens to be the same time that my
registrations go away every night.

A simple script on another machine downloads the ls_cache tarball and
checks ls_cache/list.X for the bwctl server long intervals are me not
noticing for a few days

Thu Jan 13 01:03:02 PST 2011 NEW OK
Thu Jan 13 02:03:02 PST 2011 NEW FAIL

Sat Jan 15 01:03:02 PST 2011 NEW OK
Sat Jan 15 02:03:02 PST 2011 NEW FAIL

Tue Jan 18 01:03:02 PST 2011 NEW OK
Tue Jan 18 02:03:02 PST 2011 NEW FAIL

Fri Jan 21 01:03:03 PST 2011 NEW OK
Fri Jan 21 02:03:02 PST 2011 NEW FAIL

Mon Jan 24 01:03:02 PST 2011 NEW OK
Mon Jan 24 02:03:03 PST 2011 NEW FAIL

I actually saw the script_watcher patch a day or so ago on another list
and have it applied, so I'll keep an eye out and see if the new version
helps out.

Side Note: the scripts are at http://raharu.usc.edu/git and consist of a
script with code from ls_cache_daemon to fetch the cache and a script to
query for services and projects. Much like a CLI version of the web
page...

____
Carl Hayter
ITS - Data Network Operations