perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR rrd-ma installation

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR rrd-ma installation

  • From: kunal shroff <>
  • To: Fausto Vetter <>
  • Cc: Domenico Vicinanza <>, Nicolas Simar <>,
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR rrd-ma installation
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:16:35 -0400

hello,

I apologize for lack of information in the previous email, i will try to be more detailed in this one.

I am trying to install the perfSONAR MA to view the bandwidth utilization of one of our routers.
From the wiki it was my understanding that the MA would be needed to publish the information and the perfsonar UI could then be used to view this information.
I have set up an rrd database which gets regularly updated with information from the router interface (using SNMPwalk). but before using this i wanted to test the perfsonar MA installation by using the default test.rrd and rrd-database_TEST.xml, when I run the sample request it prints the URL of the service the request and response files the time taken and then exits.The wiki says i should be getting back proper rrd data.

I am looking into the MDM release now and will try to install it .

thanks for all your help
kunal

Fausto Vetter wrote:
Hi Kunal,

May you provide more information about the software you are trying to install? Have you tried the last available perfSONAR-MDM release (3.0)? Could you find the needed information you need to install the service?

Basically, to ensure you have properly installed the service you should access through a web-browser the web-interface through the address:

http://[hostname]:8080/geant2-java-rrd-ma/

where [hostname] is the address of your server: IP or hostname.

After accessing this address, you should be able to see the administration perfSONAR web-interface.

After this step, you are able to access the configuration page which enables you to configure the basic configuration of any perfSONAR webservice.

If you are not able to see this interface, let me know. By the way, you will need to create the stitching file which is the file that will tell the RRD-MA information about the interfaces you want to access and it make the linking between the RRD-Files and the information about the data it is presenting.

After installing and doing the stitching, you will need to use the perfSONAR-UI to test if everything is working fine.

Do not hesitate to contact us for help.

Cheers,
Fausto Vetter
Dante Application Service Desk

kunal shroff wrote:
hello,

I have been trying to install perfSONAR to monitor the utilization of one of our routers here at BNL.
Following the instruction avaliable on the wiki i have installed the rrd-ma, at first i am testing it with the default rrd-database_TEST.xml.
when I run the sample request it prints the URL of the service the request and response files the time taken and then exits. I do not see any rrd data(i am not really sure wht i should be looking for).
I did not come across any error or warning msgs while performing the previous step, the tomcat and axis installation also seem to be operating fine.

wht i would like to know is how i can confirm if i have installed the rrd-ma successfully.

i would greatly appreciate any help you could offer

yours sincerely
Kunal Shroff