perfsonar-user - Re: [I2G2-Proto] [perfsonar-user] perfSONARinstallations: Upgrade Request

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [I2G2-Proto] [perfsonar-user] perfSONARinstallations: Upgrade Request

  • From: "Jeff W. Boote" <>
  • To: Chris Welti <>
  • Cc: GN-JRA1-list <>,
  • Subject: Re: [I2G2-Proto] [perfsonar-user] perfSONARinstallations: Upgrade Request
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 15:46:13 -0600

Chris Welti wrote:
SWITCH is currently using the python release.
I'm a bit reluctant to change to the java version as it seems to have a HUGE
overhead. Also the performance of the python version seems better,
according to reports on this list.

Well, I'm not sure which list you are talking about. Looking back, it looks like the problems were reported on the user list, but the resolution was only reported on the developers list. (Not good PR! :) ) A good portion of the performance problems were fixed for the 1.0 production release by removing some debugging code. From Vedrin's message to the list referring to the RC2 version that corrected these issues:

| We noticed that Java RRD MA performance in processing SetupDataRequests has
| significantly improved, compared to RC1 (and Python RRD MA):
|
| 1 MetadataKeyRequest for 160 interfaces (Java) ~ 10 sec
| 160 SetupDataREquests for 1 interface (Java) ~ 40 sec (!!!)
|
| 1 MetadataKeyRequest for 160 interfaces (Python) ~ 2.5 sec
| 160 SetupDataREquests for 1 interface (Python) ~ 106 sec
|
| Java RRD MA now clearly outperforms Python RRD MA for SetupDataRequest
| processing and completes the task 2.5 times faster on average (same client,
| same server, same data). However, the low MetadaKeyRequest processing
| performance of Java RRD MA still remains an open issue.

SetupDataRequests are the messages that actually fetch data. This is the request that is duplicated - the MetadataKeyRequest is for the initial metadata and does not need to be repeated very often by the client. So, I would expect the Java performance to be superior for most uses of the RRD MA. (This is not an exhaustive benchmark, so ymmv of course. But, this is the data we have.)

As I understand, there needs to be plenty of installation works (Java,
Apache, Tomcat/Axis, eXist) even before the perfSONAR java installation.
Is there a installation guide for this stuff?

If the README is inadequate, we would appreciate any feedback you have. (Perhaps we need to do something to let people know to look in the README?)

On the www.perfsonar.net I can only find a guide for perfSONAR package
itself, but not the the pre-Install requirements :)
Keep in mind, I'm only a Network Engineer, not a Developer or Sys Admin :)
So until there is a real easy way to install it, or I get enough time on my
hands to figure it out myself, the SWITCH RRD and ping MA will remain based
on the python version.

Then you are exactly the audience we need to support. We would benefit greatly from any effort you are willing to put toward this. (Especially if we can create some documentation to address each road block you hit - as you hit it.)

jeff