ndt-users - Re: My NDT just did not work

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: My NDT just did not work

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: "Ken Bellars" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: My NDT just did not work
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:43:25 -0400

Hi Kenny;

I've trimmed the email and have some comments below.

At 10:15 AM 10/17/2006, Ken Bellars wrote:
Rich,

Thanks so much for walking me through building my own NDT. The first suggestion actually fixed the problem.

Now its running cool but I think there is still a problem (most likely the last.).

My C2S speed is far greater than the S2C. See below.

click START to re-test
Connected to: <http://196.207.6.22>196.207.6.22 -- Using IPv4 address
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done

running 10s outbound test ( Client -to- Server [C2S] ) . . . . . 44.25Mb/s
running 10s inbound test ( Server -to- Client [S2C] ) . . . . . . 1.48Mb/s

This is reporting that server is unable to fully utilize the network. Fortunately, the NDT "Statists" and "More Details" pages should help explain why. Look at these pages and send me a copy if you need help interpreting the results.

The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a 10 Gbps 10 Gigabit Ethernet/OC-192 subnet

The NDT server performs some raw packet timing calculations to determine the bottleneck link capacity. I suspect that you are using a new PC with a 1 GE NIC and that NIC is doing interrupt coalescing, handling multiple receive packets on a single interrupt. This means that the NDT is finding out how fast the NIC can transfer packets across the memory bus, not across the network. Until I can fix this bug, turning interrupt coalescing off should correct the problem (at the expense of more CPU utilization).

Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

This is probably a misleading message. My plan is to update the congestion detected signature in the next few months.

[ S2C ]: Excessive packet queuing detected

This is saying that the server can send data to the NIC faster than the NIC can push it out into the network. This is typical for modern servers and clients stuck behind slow links (DSL/Cable modem). The word "Information" in blue indicated that it is a hot-link that you can click on to get more information.

Let us know what you find.

Rich
click START to re-test

[snip snip snip]