ndt-dev - Re: [ndt-dev] Allowing protocol changes without losing backward compatibility

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

Re: [ndt-dev] Allowing protocol changes without losing backward compatibility

  • From: Aaron Brown <>
  • To: Sebastian Kostuch <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [ndt-dev] Allowing protocol changes without losing backward compatibility
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 18:49:13 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

My preference if we’re going to go down the path of adding more stuff into
the login message would be to have the body of the message be a JSON hash.
This would allow adding more variables without breaking backwards
compatibility and/or defining another schema for representing structured data.

As to expected results, I’m not sure the best way to structure that since
logically the web100/web10g variables being requested shouldn’t depend on
web100/web10g (i.e. if web100g ever exists, or if we can provide some of them
via TCP_INFO, it shouldn’t break things). Beyond that, there are some results
that aren’t just web100-variables, but are combinations of web100 variables
and other data (e.g. bottleneck link) that presumably would be good to have
in there as well.

Cheers,
Aaron

On Apr 11, 2014, at 4:03 AM, Sebastian Kostuch