ndt-dev - [ndt-dev] ndt websocket protocol?

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

[ndt-dev] ndt websocket protocol?

  • From: Aaron Brown <>
  • To: "<>" <>
  • Subject: [ndt-dev] ndt websocket protocol?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:49:47 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hey Folks,

Someone asked about a javascript NDT implementation, and I was wondering what
folks thought about the feasibility of this. Based on my rather cursory
understanding of websockets, it looks like essentially a simple socket that
requires an initial handshake and that data to be formatted in a specific
manner. If we have the NDT server look for that initial handshake in the
initial connection (and in test connections), respond to the handshake, and
then pack/unpack the normal protocol back-and-forth into websocket frames,
theoretically, the entire thing could be handle with essentially no major
protocol changes. It wouldn’t be pretty by any stretch, but it theoretically
could(?) work.

Can anyone with more websockets knowledge throw a wet blanket on this idea,
or do other folks otherwise think it’s a dumb idea?

Cheers,
Aaron