megaconference - [Megacon] RE: Videoconferencing "Soft Client" vs Codec Hardware

Subject: Megaconference

[Megacon] RE: Videoconferencing "Soft Client" vs Codec Hardware

  • From: "Zinner, Mike (MNIT)" <>
  • To: "Leonard, Mark" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [Megacon] RE: Videoconferencing "Soft Client" vs Codec Hardware
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 18:31:57 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

The big difference is clarity, field of view and fixed focus as far as the actual cameras go.  Running a classroom on a MAC with camera is risky.  A C20 is much less likely to lock up in the middle of a lesson.  You have multiple inputs (like a graphics camera or DVD player) on the C20, but you’d be limited to the webcam and whatever’s on-screen on the MAC with a soft-client.  If $ is the issue, you might want to look at Polycom’s new offerings.  Very small codec and good pricing.