megaconference - [Megacon] Videoconferencing "Soft Client" vs Codec Hardware

Subject: Megaconference

[Megacon] Videoconferencing "Soft Client" vs Codec Hardware

  • From: "Leonard, Mark" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Megacon] Videoconferencing "Soft Client" vs Codec Hardware
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 18:15:53 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hello Megalister's--

I'm curious if anyone out there has run a side by side comparison of say a Cisco C-20 against a 'soft client' like this--
Sure…in a perfect world we would always buy the dedicated codec for video collaboration-- right?   —  but I'm really starting to wonder about reasons not to run  the $1000 set up above in non mission critical events—

How about it?
Anyone out there running a H.323 soft client  in a classroom set up?

And yes— to make it a little tougher… I must have 30fps, 1080, and connection speeds around 1000kbs  :>)

And no— I'm not so interested in the 101 web based videoconferencing services that have popped up as this is really a 'hardware' discussion. In my eyes— the weakest link in the soft client is the camera. Buying a $3K+ USB camera to compete with the Cisco HD camera kind of defeats the purpose of looking at workarounds to a dedicated VC codec.

Thanks for looking at this-
Have a great long weekend-

~Mark

Mark Leonard