mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Need XMLObject in assertion, I believe

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Need XMLObject in assertion, I believe

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To: mace-opensaml-users <>
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Need XMLObject in assertion, I believe
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:50:32 -0400

On 4/21/2010 3:10 PM, Jason Countryman wrote:

I need to create the following element to put into an Attribute element:

<nhin:Role xmlns:nhin=\"http://www.hhs.gov/healthit/nhin\" code=\"112247003\" codeSystem=\"2.16.840.1.113883.6.96\" codeSystemName=\"SNOMED CT\" displayName=\"Medical doctor\" />

I think you probably mean inside an AttributeValue element, inside an Attribute element, right?  As in:

<saml:Attribute>
  <saml:AttributeValue>
    <nhin:Role ..... />
  </saml:AttributeValue>
</saml:Attribute

How would I go about creating this?  I'm assuming this would use an XMLObject and the XMLObjectBuilder, but I'm not sure.

Yes, more or less.

See this post:

https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/mace-opensaml-users/2009-11/msg00017.html

The correct way (#1 there) is to implement an XML object provider and supporting clases (builder, marshaller, unmarshaller) for your nhin:Role element.  It's not that hard, but you'll need to consult the user's guide docs mentioned there.  Looking at some of the existing SAML and other XML object provider examples would probably also be helpful.

You can consider taking the XSAny shortcut (#2), esp. if you primarily just need to generate this using OpenSAML and not consume.

HTH,
Brent