mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Migrating to opensaml 2.2.0

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Migrating to opensaml 2.2.0

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Migrating to opensaml 2.2.0
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:55:20 -0400

Pantvaidya, Vishwajit wrote:

Based on my understanding, since I am not implementing a complete service provider, but only the browser post profile, I should be okay with OpenSAML i.e. I do not need to use Shibboleth – is that accurate?

Correct.  If you want to write your own SP (complete or otherwise), then using the OpenSAML toolkit is the way to go.  Shibboleth is comprised of higher-level implementations of an SP and an IdP, built on top of OpenSAML.

If that is right, then how do I instantiate the HTTPPostDecoder? I see that the constructor needs a SAMLArtifactMap – but I do not have any artifacts as I am doing browser post profile.

Yes, that was a design bug.

https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/JOST-28

It hasn't been fixed yet, as it constitutes an API change (which we only can do at a major release version).  However, I suppose at this point we should go ahead and add constructors without the artifact map and deprecate the others, removing them on the next major release.  I will try and do that fairly soon, although I'm not sure when we will put out the next release.

But in the meantime you can just pass a null for the ArtifactMap argument.  It isn't checked for null-ness and obviously isn't ever used, so that will at least get you started.

--Brent