mace-opensaml-users - Re: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:13:12 -0400

Brent Putman wrote:

Scott Cantor wrote:

But I didn't realize that it was legal to combine xsi:type and xsi:nil like
that. The use case in SAML was just <AttributeValue xsi:nil="true"/>. It
never struck me what the implications were.

Well caveat, I'm pretty sure I tested use of xsi:type and xsi:nil together, but I'll double-check. I'm not at a computer where I have a working Oxygen installed, but I'll try later this evening. Unless you already did.

FYI, I tested with Oxygen. The combination of xsi:type + xsi:nil seems to be legal and valid. As long as the element is nillable of course.

--Brent