mace-opensaml-users - Re: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:14:14 -0400

Scott Cantor wrote:

But I didn't realize that it was legal to combine xsi:type and xsi:nil like
that. The use case in SAML was just <AttributeValue xsi:nil="true"/>. It
never struck me what the implications were.

Well caveat, I'm pretty sure I tested use of xsi:type and xsi:nil together, but I'll double-check. I'm not at a computer where I have a working Oxygen installed, but I'll try later this evening. Unless you already did.

But FWIW, it kinda makes sense to me at least that you could combine them. It's one thing to want to say that you have an element with type xs:string and it's nil (null value), vs. saying you have an xs:integer and it's null. At least a subtle difference. Which may not be as obvious in the SAML case, where the type of AttributeValue is sort of implied by the Attribute, or by the other AttributeValues which might have an explicit xsi:type.