mace-opensaml-users - RE: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:02:27 -0400

> But what do you do for example in the case where the AttributeValue isn't
> bare, e.g. it has an xsi:type="xs:string". Do you use some provider that
> represents the xs:string type, or do you still use the ElementProxy type
> approach? If the former, I would imagine you still have the issue I
alluded
> to in the note I just sent out.

It's the latter. I use an element proxy because nothing's defined to
override it, because I see that as syntactic sugar I can add any time.

But I didn't realize that it was legal to combine xsi:type and xsi:nil like
that. The use case in SAML was just <AttributeValue xsi:nil="true"/>. It
never struck me what the implications were.

I don't see any real option but to move it from an implementation point of
view, but I don't much like it.