mace-opensaml-users - Re: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Detecting "xsi:nil" in AttributeValue
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:54:16 -0400

Scott Cantor wrote:

In Java, with the default config, a bare AttributeValue would be an
XSAny instance.

That's what I thought. In my case, I have marker subclasses for any elements
or types that are "anyType", and they get used by default, which allows for
a distinction between wildcard elements that are nillable and those that
aren't.

Yeah, I guess that changes the game.  In Java we really don't have impls of *elements* that are nillable.  E.g. we don't any impls of AttributeValue at all.

But what do you do for example in the case where the AttributeValue isn't bare,  e.g. it has an xsi:type="xs:string".  Do you use some provider that represents the xs:string type, or do you still use the ElementProxy type approach?  If the former, I would imagine you still have the issue I alluded to in the note I just sent out.

--Brent