mace-opensaml-users - RE: Implementing IdP and SP

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Implementing IdP and SP

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Implementing IdP and SP
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:38:51 -0400

> Hello, I want to use OpenSAML to implement man Identity Provider and after
> that a Service Provider (instead of using Shibboleth). Is is possible, or
> too difficult?
> I think the only thing I need is implementing the SSO profile specified in
> saml 2.0 overview. Am i right?

Not even close. A short list:

- configuration
- authentication
- attribute resolution and handling
- application integration features
- possibly session management
- security customized for your needs
- possibly logout (matter of opinion)

I could go on. You can get rid of lots of things if you honestly don't need
them, particularly in an SP, but I haven't seen many things I'd call an IdP
that don't have mostly the same set of pieces.