mace-opensaml-users - RE: Implementing IdP and SP

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Implementing IdP and SP

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Implementing IdP and SP
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:44:53 -0400

> Just out of curiousity, Chad, what open source versions are available?
> Other than OpenSAML and OpenID, I haven't seem much else that is open
> source ...

OpenID has nothing do with SAML, quite the opposite, it's reinventing it.

For SAML 1.x only, there's the Guanxti stuff and there's SourceID, and for
2.0 there's at least the zxid project, the stuff Bradley Beddoes is doing,
the stuff Paul Hethmon is working on, and of course Sun's, which is now
fully open sourced.

Some of that stuff uses OpenSAML and some of it doesn't, so there's a mix.

It's strange to do more IMHO *unless* you do it differently. There are
significant needs worth filling, like very small Ruby and Python SP
implementations for example, or .NET work, but yet another Java or Apache
module just seems gratuitious.