mace-opensaml-users - RE: Open SAML 2.0 timeline

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Open SAML 2.0 timeline

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Vandit Garg'" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Open SAML 2.0 timeline
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:23:29 -0400

> From reading the Open SAML Wiki, I notice that Shibboleth is listed as
> one of the products using Open SAML. If that's the case, why would Open
> SAML 2.0 be awaiting development conclusion of Shibboleth 2.0? Shouldn't
> it be the other way round, that Shibboleth 2.0 be pending Open SAML 2.00
> release?

OpenSAML is a byproduct of developing Shibboleth. It's main function is to
support that work, anything else is secondary. The APIs are driven by what
is needed by that code, and until that code's done, the final boundary
between them won't be done and the APIs won't have been tested. Since APIs
have to be stable between major versions, they have to be well tested before
they can be frozen.

That doesn't mean other people's requirements are ignored, but so far nobody
has any, so Shibboleth remains the only driver we have to determine when the
library is complete enough.

> One more question, are you aware of any alternate SAML 2.0 java
> implementation or toolkit? Either open source or commercial?

I'm sure there are commercial ones, but I don't pay any attention. There
aren't any open source in Java that I know of.