mace-opensaml-users - Re: 2.0 Status Update & Request for Feedback

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: 2.0 Status Update & Request for Feedback

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: 2.0 Status Update & Request for Feedback
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:14:22 -0500

Tim Freeman wrote:
I'm also curious about this bullet from the original email of this thread:
"Support for loading multiple configuration files was added"
1. Does this mean that multiple configurations can be used simultaneously by
different threads in the same JVM? Or is there a choice made at JVM init?

No, it means you can load multiple configurations files and have them composed within the singleton configuration object. The configuration files for the SAML2 stuff can be quite large and being able to break them up makes them much more manageable. Even if you never touch the really big ones (which you shouldn't have to in most cases) it'll still be easier for me to manage. :)

2. Are all library configurations going to also be available for programmatic
configuration? (in Java 1.1, I think I remember the config files mapped to
System properties).

Yes.

3. And speaking to both questions: if possible, a model that lets at least
separate classloaders have different configs would be desirable (i.e., avoid
System properties).

This could be done in a couple of ways depending on how your classloader structure is set up. Probably the easiest, and I should probably write some code to just do this, would be to have multiple configuration objects and load the different configuration sets into them. In this model, you, the developer, would need to keep track of those objects (maybe binding them to a JNDI tree for example).

The second, more complicated (in some cases) would be to set up your classloaders with hard boundaries between them so that the current singleton based configuration object could be created multiple times and loaded with different configuration sets. This is easy if you're deploying in a web app container and want each separate webapp to have a single config. It's hard if you want to do this in what would normally be a single classloader, parent-first delegation, hierarchy.

--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124