mace-opensaml-users - Re: OpenSAML 2.0: Initial Information

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: OpenSAML 2.0: Initial Information

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Chad La Joie <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: OpenSAML 2.0: Initial Information
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:19:32 -0500

Chad, thanks for the update on OpenSAML 2.0.

On 11/1/05, Chad La Joie

> ... design work
> has begun on OpenSAML 2.0, the OpenSAML implementation that will support
> SAML 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0.

So OpenSAML 2.0 will support all versions of SAML? What does this
mean for current users of OpenSAML? Do OpenSAML 1.1 and 2.0 run side
by side, or does one preclude the other?

> Lastly, there will be API changes to the current classes. We'll be
> doing this to bring the SAML 1.X support in to line with the new design.

So the SAML 1.1 support in OpenSAML 2.0 can not be used as a drop-in
replacement for OpenSAML 1.1?

> If you have questions or comments related to the information in this
> email, or about whether the new library will support some given feature
> of SAML X.Y, feel free to let them fly now.

Will OpenSAML 2.0 support the SAML 1.x metadata specification? If so,
is this support tightly integrated with OpenSAML 2.0 or can the
metadata bits be used in conjunction with OpenSAML 1.1?

Thanks,
Tom