mace-opensaml-users - RE: SAMLResponse leak?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: SAMLResponse leak?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: SAMLResponse leak?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:38:55 -0400

> I think I have a memory leak problem when creating a
> SAMLResponse from a signed assertion. I've made a short test
> program which just loops around the SAMLResponse(InputStream,
> int) constructor. It seems to leak about 60kB each time, and
> eventually hits OutOfMemory. What am I missing? Do I need to
> set some properties for XML parser, or something?

Believe it or not, the leak is in Sun's parser. A new version of Shibboleth
is coming out that embeds Xerces-J. You can fix the problem by downloading
2.7.1 and putting its jars into your JDK or Tomcat endorsed folder, as with
JDK 1.4.

Technically it's possible to override Sun's JAXP code without endorsement
now, but Xerces-J 2.7.x has a bug and does not properly do this, and you end
up with a mixed system of part Sun/part Apache code if you don't endorse
Xerces.

Can you try that and confirm that the leak disappears?