grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] containerized grouper noob questions

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] containerized grouper noob questions

  • From: Baron Fujimoto <>
  • To: Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] containerized grouper noob questions
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 14:15:28 -1000

On Thu, Jul 02, 2020 at 05:15:31PM -1000, Baron Fujimoto wrote:
We're dipping our toes in the water of containerized Grouper, generally
upgrading from 2.2 to 2.5. Upgrade issues aside, I have some basic questions
about containerized Grouper that I hope aren't too stupid. I poked around the
Grouper doucmentation I could find but didn't find what I was looking for –
I'm happy to RTFM if someone will point me to TFM.

Different question:

Our current grouper UI and WS deployments share a common hostname and port
(443). E.g.:

UI: <https://grouper.example.edu.grouper/grouper>
WS: <https://grouper.example.edu.grouper/grouper-ws>

We achieve this by running both services out of a shared Tomcat servlet
container. With dockerized Grouper the the best practice seems to be to run
each service in its own docker container (each with its own Tomcat servlet
container)? Since each service can't listen to the same port (right?), what
is the recommended way of handling this? Just having, say, the WS, listen to
a different port? (Assuming we want to retain the same hostname.) E.g.:

UI: <https://grouper.example.edu.grouper/grouper>
WS: <https://grouper.example.edu.grouper:9443/grouper>

--
UH Information Technology Services : Identity & Access Mgmt, Middleware
minutas cantorum, minutas balorum, minutas carboratum desendus pantorum