grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] containerized grouper noob questions

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] containerized grouper noob questions

  • From: Greg Haverkamp <>
  • To: Baron Fujimoto <>, Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] containerized grouper noob questions
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:14:44 -0700

You can do that, or you can generate a new cert at container instantiation/run, which is what we do.  We pull a new certificate from our secrets manager (HashiCorp Vault) at container run, and the LB trusts Vault’s CA.

I don’t know that that’s necessary for Grouper, but it’s the general model I’d like all of our services to get to.

Greg

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 4:07 PM Baron Fujimoto <> wrote:
Interesting. Again, to make sure I understand this scenario, you describe having the LB terminate the TLS using a standard CA issued certificate. From there, you forward the traffic – also via TLS to the back end containerized service which is using its own, potentially long-lived (say, to alleviate renewal and cert management issues?), self-signed cert? I suppose this would depend on the capabilities of the LB as well to support this.

I concur it would be preferable to encrypt all the network channels where feasible.

--
UH Information Technology Services : Identity & Access Mgmt, Middleware
minutas cantorum, minutas balorum, minutas carboratum desendus pantorum